Jump To Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions About Dissolution of Marriage (Divorce)

The family law attorneys at Neff Law Firm, P.A., help clients resolve divorce-related issues such as child custody, child support, division of marital property, and spousal maintenance (alimony). If you are considering filing for divorce in Minnesota, contact Neff Law Firm. To learn more about divorce, please review the FAQs below.

What Does the Law Require to End a Marriage in Minnesota?

Minnesota is a no-fault state. An irretrievable breakdown in the marriage may be the basis in law for the marriage to be dissolved. This is unlike other states that may require a degree of fault by a party to end the marriage through a divorce proceeding.

What Is a Default Divorce?

A default dissolution of marriage is where one party to the dissolution does not contest the ending of the marriage and allows the other party to move forward to bring the marriage dissolution to completion through a court proceeding.

What If Spouses Cannot Reach an Agreement to End the Marriage ?

If the parties cannot reach a mutual agreement to end the marriage, they can try to work with a mediator to find an acceptable solution or move forward with a contested proceeding in family court. In a divorce trial each of the parties can present evidence supporting his or her position on property distribution, division of and responsibility for financial obligations, custody, parenting access and support obligations and related matters. The court will then make a decision based on the evidence provided at trial.

How Do Issues Involving the Custody of Children Get Resolved When a Marriage Breaks Up?

Where the parties cannot make a suitable mutual agreement as to custody of children and related matters it turns into a contested matter that may result in the court having to make the determination.

If My Child or Children Live With My Ex-Spouse, Can I Still See Them Whenever I Want to Do So?

A responsible parent may usually be expected to receive the right to reasonable parenting access (visitation) with the minor children after the dissolution of marriage.

If My Child or Children Live With Me After the Marriage Is Legally Dissolved, Can I Get Financial Help From My Former Spouse?

The law in Minnesota allows for the custodial parent to receive a reasonable amount of basic child support, child care support and medical support. The parents' gross income as well as other factors are taken into consideration when establishing the basic support, child care support and medical support obligations of the parents.

What Is Divorce Mediation?

Mediation is a service where the parties may go to a neutral intermediary who may work with them to find a mutually acceptable solution to issues that they face.

After a Marriage is Dissolved, Can I Still Get Help From the Court If New Problems Come Up With My Former Spouse?

Yes, the law in Minnesota allows for parties even after dissolution of marriage is granted to apply for relief in dealing with matters such as custody, support of the children and visitation.

Contact a family law attorney at Neff Law Firm, P.A., for answers to your questions about dissolution of marriage in Minnesota. Flexible appointment times are available at both the Roseville and Edina law offices.

We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for relief under the Bankruptcy Code.
Tell us about your case.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.



The Neff Law Firm attorneys' knowledge, experience, skill and sensitivity in dealing with family law matters makes them an excellent place to go to when someone is involved in a divorce, child custody or child support matter. Neff Law Firm client who has received great legal service